War Memorial Park is Coventry's premier park, covering some 50 ha of open space. The park was opened in 1921 as the City’s memorial to those who lost their lives in the First World War.
Today the park is broadly divided into three main character areas, a formal memorial park centred around the War Memorial, an extensive area of open space for sports and a country park area for large-scale events and activities. Though popular and well used, the park facilities and infrastructure were becoming increasingly tired and in need of significant investment. A restoration and refurbishment programme was completed in July 2011, in which nearly 30 key improvements were completed. These included works to the park buildings and the creation of a visitors centre, a refurbished memorial including new access steps and ramp, landscape enhancements of the ornamental areas and the creation of a country park area to improve the ecological value of the park.
In 2013 English Heritage confirmed that the parkland would be added to the Register of Parks and Gardens with a Grade 2 listing. The main gates also have a Grade 2 listing along with the memorial itself.